Carers Support Grant

The Carers Support Grant is an annual payment made to carers by the Department of Social Protection. Carers can use the grant in whatever way they wish. You can use the grant to pay for respite care if you wish, but it is not necessary to do so.

In June of each year, the Department of Social Protection pays the grant automatically to carers getting Carer’s Allowence, Carer’s Benefit, Prescribed Relative’s Allowance or Domiciliary Care Allowance from the Department. Only one Carers Support Grant can be paid for each person getting care.


The grant is paid to those getting one of the payments mentioned above as well as certain other carers providing full-time care. If you are not getting one of the above payments, you must be:

  • Aged 16 or over

  • Ordinarily resident in the State

  • Caring for the person on a full-time basis

  • Caring for the person for at least six months – this period must include the first Thursday in June

  • Living with the person being cared for or, if not, be contactable quickly by a direct system of communication (for example, telephone or alarm).

You do not qualify if you are working more than 15 hours per week outside the home, if you are getting an unemployment payment or if you are signing on for unemployment credits. You also do not qualify if you are living in a hospital, convalescent home or similar institution.

If you are caring for more than one person, a grant is paid for each of them.


A Respite Care Grant of €1,700 (June 2011) is paid once each year, usually in June, for each person you are caring for. It is not taxable.

How To Apply

If you are getting Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit, Prescribed Relative’s Allowance or Domiciliary Care Allowance from the Department of Social Protection, you do not need to apply for the Carers support Grant. It will be automatically paid to you in June.

Should you have any questions about this benefit, any issues with claiming this benefit or would like to discuss it with someone please contact our email address. 

Should you wish to contribute to this article from your experience please contact us